Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Empty Closet

I dreamed I was hanging out with Tim Gunn last night, as one does, and may I say he is just as charming and kind in dream life as he is on TV.

Anyway, when I woke up, I confronted my double closets (which face my bed), and was struck with the vision of what they will look like when I retire.


The elegant photo was lifted from It Must Be F/8

95% of my wardrobe is for work. I don't wear my pencil skirts or silk blouses or heels on my days off. I wear jeans in various shades and simple tops, and cute comfortable shoes.  I wear almost no jewelry other than small earrings and a watch.

Not that I'm retiring any time soon, but we know how quickly time passes when you work 40 hours a week. I figure I'll work another 12 years, if I'm lucky and can retire at 66. I'd better stop buying clothes at least three years before I actually retire, in order to save some money and not wind up with a closet full of new things that I will just have to give away. I'll need a few dressy outfits for warm and cold weather (weddings and such) and a bunch of coats and jackets and scarves. I'll wear my watches regularly and my other jewelry once a month or so.

And then what to do with all of that empty space?

1 comment:

  1. But you may find that once you don't have to dress a certain way for work most days, you actually fancy more variety. Maybe you will enjoy wearing your silk blouses with jeans (they can go in the washing machine) - so comfy and luxurious! Maybe you will fancy wearing a skirt every now and again for fun, even though you don't need to. Maybe you will start wearing five necklaces at once, if their jangling doesn't disturb you at work...

    ReplyDelete